This past weekend, PROMISE: Maryland’s AGEP celebrated the anniversary of the PROMISE Summer Success Institute (SSI). This was actually the 12th Annual SSI. The first PROMISE conference was called “SUCCESS 2003.” We named the program the Summer Success Institute (SSI) in 2004.

The program from the 2014 SSI can be found here:

SSI Cover 2014

Click here for the: PDF of the 2014 SSI program booklet, Click here for the conference website.

IG ssi1

Here, we share some of the 300+ (public) responses that were posted within two days from our #PROMISEagep social media presence for the SSI (Note: Posts from private Twitter and Facebook accounts where users have opened posts to members of PROMISE, but have not opened posts to the general public are not featured.)

SSI Social Media 2014

SSI Social Media 2014 _ Screen 2 SSI Social Media 2014 _ Screen 3

Some Facebook comments:

Wonderfully invigorating time at the PROMISE AGEP SSI Dissertation House / SSI this weekend ! From the panelists talks to the breakout sessions , I found myself being ‘re-engaged in my PhD process. Thanks to ALL who shared this experience with me. – K.G.

FB ssi1 FB ssi2

Find more comments on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram with the hashtag: #PROMISEagep

Tags:

Categories: Academic Preparation, Community Building, Conferences, Dissertation House, National AGEP, Ph.D. Completion, Seminars and Workshops, Success Seminars and Workshops, Summer Success Institute (SSI), Uncategorized

Author:Renetta Garrison Tull

Dr. Renetta Garrison Tull is the Associate Vice Provost for Graduate Student Development & Postdoctoral Affairs at the UMBC: An Honors University in Maryland (http://www.umbc.edu), and the Director of PROMISE: Maryland’s Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP) – http://www.umbc.edu/promise. The PROMISE AGEP includes alliance members: UMBC, the University of Maryland Baltimore, and the University of Maryland College Park. She is passionate about training postdocs for careers, cultivating new graduate students in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields, retention of all graduate students, and Ph.D. Completion. She speaks nationally on these topics, and has projects in Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Puerto Rico. Her personal website is: http://renettatull.wordpress.com. Connect with her on Google+ google.com/+RenettaTull. Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Renetta_Tull

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

16 Comments on “The Success of the 2014 PROMISE Summer Success Institute (SSI) – The Social Media Accolades”

1. August 21, 2014 at 6:12 PM #

Here is our Storify page with a list of the tweets from the 2014 PROMISE SSI, #PROMISEagep.

On Tintup:

The following comments came to us through email. We thank the participants for their feedback!

• August 21, 2014 at 6:13 PM #

From K. N. – Student in Toxicology at UMES:

I have taken so much away these last 3 days from dissertation house and the formal mentorship and leadership training sessions. I am so glad that I could participate and look forward to next year.

• August 21, 2014 at 6:15 PM #

From W.R., MA

I would like to take the time to send my accolades to the promise staff for the platform to network with other professionals. I’m certain I want to obtain a PhD and after attending these seminars I am confident and ready to begin my journey. I’m truly indebted to your staff for this opportunity as it was life changing!

• August 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM #

From K.R. (M.S. from UMBC, Doctoral student at Morgan)

Promise SSI was awesome this year! I benefited most from the presentation given by Dr. Doswell on his entrepreneurial initiatives.

He doesn’t know it yet but he has gained a new mentee.

I look forward to next year’s seminar!

• August 21, 2014 at 6:17 PM #

From O.J., Grad student in Information Systems, UMBC

The PROMISEagep SSI was amazing!!! Gave me a new found strenght to forge ahead. Seeing those who have achieved what I hope to achieve reminded me that it is possible!

Whatever it is, your dreams are valid!

• August 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM #

From R.R., doctoral student, College Park:

Surrounded by wonderful support and encouragement at #promiseagep!

2. August 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM #

These comments were from the Friday Sessions of SSI, which were held at UMBC, Aug. 16.

• August 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM #

From aaabu – Regarding the TIAA-CREF session:

Taking responsibility on working on my budget. The time is now!!!

• August 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM #

Responses from the TIAA-CREF Financial Literacy Seminar

From Dr. J.S., participant, NIH

Great information and great audience participation. Clear action items to be a better financial future. Invite them back…

—————————————-

From S. N, UMBC

The session was great and informative.

—————————————–

From Dr. T.C., postdoctoral fellow

The seminar was very informative for grad students at any stage as well as postdocs. Ms. Fulco kept the seminar lively an engaging. I have two action items that will certainly contribute to overall my overall financial security in the present and in the future.

——————————————

From V. N, UMBC

Learned something new today !! Wonderful topic and interactive crowd and speaker

——————————————-

From P.,

Very informative

———————————————-

3. August 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM #

I am going to invite some of our SSI speakers to post their information here, including Twitter accounts and websites. If you are in the market for their services, please contact them! I will endorse each of them!

4. August 22, 2014 at 8:27 AM #

I thoroughly enjoyed my time this past weekend at the conference. Such impressive colleagues and topics! As always, a wonderfully energizing time for all. I am already looking forward to next year!

Alycia Marshall, Ph.D
    Professor/Interim Chair of Mathematics, Anne Arundel Community College
    Principal Investigator, Engineering Scholars Program, Anne Arundel Community College
    CEO/Founder Educational Excellence LLC

5. August 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM #

NSF’s PROMISE Program at UMBC says all of the right things, involves all of the right people, and has the personal touch that allows striving PhD students to network, prepare for and excel in their professional careers. Glad to be a part of this year’s event and hope that the dedication displayed by UMBC is embodied by many other institutions.

6. August 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM #

This conference was well organized and had the perfect blend of speakers and topics to keep both students and presenters engaged throughout the weekend. The format enabled excellent networking and professional development opportunities for all. Glad to be a part of the 2014 SSI program and look forward to partnering again soon.

Marquita M. Qualls, PhD
    Leadership and Professional Development Consulting and Coaching

Entropia Consulting

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PROMISE is going to Atlanta in October 2014! SREB Compact for Faculty Diversity/Institute for Teaching & Mentoring. Do you want to go? | PROMISE: Maryland's AGEP - August 27, 2014

[…] 2014 for the SREB Compact! If you went to the PROMISE SSI this year, think of The Compact as PROMISE SSI quadrupled! Yes, there are nearly 1000 students from around the country at the conference. As a […]

2. PROMISE Summer Success Institute (SSI) – August 20, 2016 | PROMISE: Maryland's AGEP - May 27, 2016

[…] of the PROMISE SSI    |    PROMISE SSI: #ThinkBigDiversity 2015     |    2014 SSI Social Media Accolades   |    SSI 10th Anniversary 2013  |   PROMISE SSI Book on […]

Please Comment! Leave a Reply.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s