The Summer 2016 Dissertation House is coming to UMBC (July 5, 2016 to July 8, 2016)! Students who participate in this program will spend each day thinking, writing, and sharing ideas about their doctoral dissertations. Students will learn effective time-management skills; learn how to set small manageable goals, and will meet with a dissertation coach in one-on-one consultations to discuss and address obstacles that might prevent them completing their degrees.
HOW TO APPLY
Graduate students who plan to participate should follow the application procedure below:
I. Submit a brief description (maximum 2 pages, font size 11-12 point 1 inch margins) that describes the project that you wish to accomplish during the Dissertation House period. Applications will neither be reviewed nor accepted outside of the application enrollment period.
II. Please use the following guidelines for the application:
(1) Summary of the project, including research question(s), data or texts, and method
(2) Amount completed on the project to date
(3) Any obstacles that you are encountering that hinder completion of the dissertation.
(4) Include the following header information with the description:
- Telephone numbers (home, office, and fax)
- E-mail address
- Academic Program and Year in the program
Open application period: May 5, 2016 – May 19, 2016
(Please note that there are only 12 to 15 slots for this event, consider applying early)
Applications received after May 19, 2016 will be considered for the DH waiting list. More information about the Dissertation House: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/about/
- The Dissertation House runs from 9 AM – 5PM, for four days, Tuesday, July 5th through Friday, July 8th.
- Students must plan to attend the full session, for each of the 4 days.
- Daily schedule includes 2 mini-lectures, and 5 hours of writing per day.
- Breakfast, Lunch, and a snack will be served daily.
- The Dissertation House is free for UMBC’s graduate students.
- There are 15 to 18 spaces available for the Dissertation House.
- Details regarding eligibility can be found on the application page of the website for the Dissertation House.
Read about The Dissertation House in UMBC’s Alumni Magazine: Byrne, R. (2011, Fall) “The Write Stuff”, UMBC Magazine. p. 12