The Council of Graduate Schools has launched a national project with TIAA-CREF to help graduate student with their financial literacy. UMBC is one of the schools that has received support from CGS for the “Enhancing Financial Education” program, http://www.cgsnet.org/enhancing-student-financial-education. PROMISE: Maryland’s AGEP has been part of collaboration, by hosting programs at UMBC, but inviting graduate students from institutions within the University System of Maryland to participate.
GradSense Budget Calculator:
(More about UMBC’s program: http://www.cgsnet.org/project-summary-university-maryland-baltimore-county)
Please consider the following resources:
1) GradSense: http://www.gradsense.org/gradsense
2) Financial Smarts @ UMBC: http://financialsmarts.umbc.edu/
3) Select “Go Live” success seminars on “Financial Literacy” are being videotaped. In this segment, Mrs. Lori Jankalski (Executive Vice President CCCS of MD & DE, Inc.) discussed credit scores, credit reports, and consumer debt. Program: Credit Scores and Consumer Debt
Examples of past events:
- Saturday seminars on fellowships and graduate funding:
- Speakers: Dr. Frances Carter-Johnson and Dr. Patricia Ordóñez
- 2014: https://promiseagep.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/workshop-on-graduate-funding-wthe-1m-nsf-fellowship-coaches-sat-sept-6-2014/
- 2013: https://promiseagep.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/jobs-fellowships-grad-school-funding-saturday-breakfast-lunch-seminar-sept-7-2013-umbc/
- Personal Money Management and Budgets
- Speakers: Kevin Harris (Bedrock Assets) and Sonya Caesar (CCBC)
- Financial Essentials: Savings and Debt
- Speaker: Lisa Fulco, Financial Advisor, TIAA-CREF
- Program held during the PROMISE Summer Success Institute 2014: https://promiseagep.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/promise_ssi_2014/
- Advice from students and student-developed videos about financial literacy and the NSF GRFP Fellowship program training.
- See the 125 comments on the website that include tips: https://promiseagep.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/jobs-fellowships-grad-school-funding-saturday-breakfast-lunch-seminar-sept-7-2013-umbc/
- Managing student debt and planning for future resources. Program on UMBC’s campus, April 22, 2015, 1PM, Speakers fom PNC Bank.