We’re heading to Arlington, Virginia this coming October 2018 for the SREB Compact! If you went to the PROMISE SSI this year, think of The Compact as PROMISE SSI quadrupled! Yes, there are nearly 1000 students from around the country at the conference. As a group, PROMISE has traveled with graduate students to past SREB conferences around the US. This year, the conference is hosted in Arlington, Virginia from October 25 – 28, 2018. In order to go, you need to be nominated by the PROMISE AGEP. Read some of our former posts for the SREB conference here.

YOU have a chance to go with us, but PROMISE must nominate you. You cannot nominate yourself. We guarantee that we will take at least 8 people; we may take more. One year, we had so many great responses that we received additional funding and we took 30 people!

Here are some facts about the conference:

1.  This is the 25th Institute on TEACHING AND MENTORING/Compact for Faculty Diversity, October 25 – 28, 2018, Crystal Gateway Marriott , Arlington, VA. We tend to refer to this conference as “SREB.”
  1. Scholars nominated to attend the Institute should ONLY be individuals who have an expressed interest in pursuing a career as faculty in a college or university (any post-secondary institution.) All of the sessions at the Institute will focus on topics and issues related to teaching at the post-secondary level. Consequently, scholars who are not interested in becoming a member of the faculty at the post-secondary level will not benefit from attending this Institute.
  1. Nominated scholars must be minority or underserved STEM majors enrolled in a Ph.D. program. SREB will not accept nominations from students. (We will consider select masters students who are on track for Ph.D. programs. Note that Social Sciences are part of the “Science” in STEM.)
  1. The conference will be in Arlington, VA. Hotel rooms at the Crystal Gateway Marriott will be available at no cost to you. Single rooms will not be available for scholars. Students will be placed in double rooms.
  1. Nominees must be part of the PROMISE: AGEP-T. This means that you must be a graduate student at one of the institutions within the University System of Maryland. If you are interested, you must show evidence of participation in a PROMISE AGEP event prior to September 16, 2018.
  1. The graduate school department at UMB, UMD and UMBC have provided additional funding for AGEP scholars to attend the conference. Please make sure to apply!

SREB_compact

TO APPLY:

Write a comment to this post (below) with the following information (do not send email, email will not count). Please follow this order:

a) YOUR NAME

b) University & Department (no abbreviations). You must be a graduate student in a STEM field from one of the universities listed here: http://www.usmd.edu/institutions/. Include the link for your department and your laboratory.

c) Provide at least one link for your professional website. If you have more than one, you may provide up to three links, e.g., LinkedIn, department website.

d) Planned year of graduation for your PhD

e) One paragraph that describes the reason why you want to be a professor.

f) Which PROMISE events have you attended, and what have you learned?

g) If you’ve been “The Compact” in the past, what did you learn?

Once you apply using this format, send an email to promisestaff@gmail.com with the subject “SREB 2018 application, now online” so that we will have your email logged in our database for this event.

DEADLINE: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2018

——————–

Forthcoming: Information about our orientation/logistics meeting, and agenda of the event.

Agenda: https://instituteonteachingandmentoring.org/Media/Default/Forms/2018%20AgendaAtaGlance.pdf

——————–

Tags: ,

Categories: Conferences, Ph.D. Completion, PROF-it: Professors-in-Training

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

6 Comments on “PROMISE is going to the SREB 2018 Institute for Teaching and Mentoring, for Faculty Diversity! Do you want to go?”

1. Anonymous
    August 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM #

Name:
    Shariece A. Evans

University and Department:
    University of Maryland Baltimore County, School of Public Policy

Professional Website Link:

Planned Year of Graduation:
    2019

Reasons I Want to be A Professor:
    When I first started my PhD journey five years ago, my goal was to obtain my PhD so I could teach at the college level and conduct my own research. I was told that if I became a professor, I would be able to apply for grant money to conduct research I felt passionate about and conduct research that could be used as evidence for making incremental changes to health policies at the local and state levels. My desire to become a professor has evolved since participating in PROMISE events. In addition to my aforementioned initial desires to become a professor, I now desire to inspire students, especially students of color, to pursue graduate degrees in social science research and STEM fields. Attending this year’s PROMISE Summer Success Institute (SSI) helped me to realize the importance of diversity in academia. During this year’s SSI, I was inspired while listening to the panel of speakers during The James West LEGENDS Panel. Each panelist touched on why it is important to have diversity in academia. After listening to the panel, I started to reflect on how I wished there were more faculty members who looked like me. Then I thought to myself, “Well, I look like me—I can be part of the diversity solution!” From Dr. DeLoatch talking about the struggles of African Americans trying to get into engineering programs after the war because there were not that many engineering schools that would admit students of color to Dr. West talking about the importance of pushing forward and finishing so I could pave the way for graduate students of color coming after me — I realized that I possessed an incredible gift as a PhD student of color. My desire to become a professor now centers on helping other students of color achieve greater educational goals and not only furthering my own research agenda.

PROMISE Events I Have Attended and What I Learned:
    I have attended quite a few events sponsored by PROMISE. My first introduction to PROMISE was attending the Summer Success Institute in August 2014. I was able to connect with several other University of Maryland system PhD students and get some much needed motivation for the start of my PhD journey. Over the last five years I have attended a total of three SSI conferences, participated in one of the Dissertation House weeks, and attended a few PROF-It seminars. Although each event I attended had a different focus, the lesson I learned from all of them was the importance of networking and developing a support system filled with people who will cheer you on. There have been many times I wanted to quit my PhD program due to various surprise life events that challenged me in ways I never knew I could be challenged. Other times I wanted to quit my PhD program simply because I was tired of school. The support system I developed by meeting other graduate students at PROMISE events that I attended on and off campus made a huge difference for me being able to continue pushing forward with my PhD program.

2. Shariece Evans

Name
    Michael Fleming

Department
    University of Maryland Baltimore County
    Department of Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering

LinkedIn

Planned year of graduation for my PhD
    2021

Why I want to be a professor
    I believe education is essential to securing a brighter future, not only for individuals who obtain educational achievements but for the community those individuals serve as well. As a professor, I believe that I would be in a better position to help and guide future generations of environmental engineers in solving problems which affect the society as a whole. I would be able to mentor all students and serve as a role model for students of color who may be unsure about their future in the STEM fields. I would also be able to continue pursuing research opportunities to improve water quality.

PROMISE events I have attended
    PROMISE Summer Success Institute (SSI), 8/18/2018
    -I learned that perseverance is essential to success and to obtain a PhD.
    -I learned that imposter syndrome is real and that it should be warded off at every opportunity.
    Grad Student Teaching & Learning Workshop, 8/24/2018
    -I learned about SkillSoft and how I may utilize this training for personal development for and for enhancing the learning experience of students.
    -I learned some of the hard and fast rules of being a good TA.
    PROMISE Graduate Student and Postdocs Kick-off Social, 9/7/2018
    -I learned how to relax and chill and socialize and eat good food.
    -I learned about some of the key persons who are essential to making PROMISE a successful endeavor.

The Compact
    -N/A (I have not been to the Compact.)

4. Shannon Dunn
    September 24, 2018 at 3:49 PM #

a) My name is Shannon Dunn.
    b) I am a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Maryland, Baltimore in the Department of Medicine.
    c) http://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/profiles/Dunn-Shannon/
    d) I graduated with my PhD in 2016. I plan to complete my Postdoctoral Fellowship in 2019
    e) My long-term career goal is to become a professor that conducts research in the field of obesity and diabetes. My grandmother, who has suffered through an abundance of ailments primarily due to diabetes, is the source of my interest in this field. Throughout my time as a student, I have met many instructors that have given me motivation to get through the years. Hopefully this tradition will continue as a new generation of students move to become the ones who inspire others. I was a Teacher’s Assistant in an Introductory Biology Laboratory, and I have learned that it’s not just giving information and then grading for the knowledge retained. One has to give students a reason learn; let them see that there is a bigger picture at the end of the class than just the “A” for which they are fighting. From this experience, I learned how to communicate more effectively with students so that I can help spread knowledge through teaching and research. Attending the SREB 2018 Institute for Teaching and Mentoring can help me achieve this goal and many others.

f) I have attended:
    PROMISE AGEP Summer Success Institute
    I learned a great deal attending this conference. I had the opportunity to network with some pretty amazing individuals. I really enjoyed myself at this event. It was simply a remarkable experience. I learned about the man who invented the microphone and the woman that started PROMISE. I also learned about Astrophysics thanks to our keynote speaker, who gave an outstanding talk if I might add. Perfect way to end a wonderful event.
    UMB PROMISE Opening Meeting
    I meet a few people that are apart of PROMISE and others who wish to join including both faculty and students. I had a chance to learn some interesting things about the group and those who attended.
    Success Seminar and Program to Enhance Faculty Understanding of Diversity Issues in Graduate & Postdoctoral Education with Dr. John Wolfe
    I learned when to compromise, and when to stick with your gut. It was quite an interesting talk, he has a wealth of experience at so many institutions. Quite the class act.
    g) I have not been to “The Compact”.

5. Valencia Watson
    September 25, 2018 at 10:12 AM #

a) Valencia Watson
    b) University of Maryland Baltimore County Biochemical Engineering.

Department Link: https://cbee.umbc.edu/
    Lab Link: https://cast.umbc.edu/bind/

c) https://www.linkedin.com/in/valencia-e-watson-4966a2126/

d) 2022

e) Honestly, I am uncertain about a career in academia. However, when I think of the research I want to pursue and my dreams/goals for shifting the paradigm of the medical field, it seems like academia is where I should be. I have a passion for teaching and research. I want to operate my own lab and be able to research diseases that interest me. I would like to see if this conference can elucidate new ideas and information about being in academia that can help me with my decision making. As an engineer, I am split between going to industry and academia. At the present moment, I do not have an argument for why one would be better than the other. Being a professor is a career that would allow me to teach and conduct my own research, which is the perfect combination of my passions.

f) Thus far I have attended the PROMISE research conference at College Park. At this conference I learned the importance of properly formatting a poster and how to make sure the visual aid supports the flow of the research. I also attended the PROMISE teaching workshops for national teaching certification at UMBC. Here I learned how to teach without bias. I learned the proper way to develop a syllabus and how to think about how others think when teaching. PROMISE also holds an annual IRB training event, where I was able to stay and get IRB certified. Finally, I attended the NSF GRFP seminar. This information session taught me the necessary steps I will need to take when applying for NSF.

g) If you’ve been “The Compact” in the past, what did you learn?
    N/A

6. Kris'tina
    October 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM #

a) Kris’tina Ackerman

b) UMBC LLC (Language, Literacy, and Culture) PhD.

c) http://www.linked.in/ackermankristina , http://www.aticketfortwo.com

d) Expected graduation date 2023.

e) Academia is what I always come back to, and despite everyone in my life knowing this fact, I took my time coming to that same conclusion. Following every thread in my body of work has led me to unexpected places in several disciplines, and a love of research and learning is what ties it all together. I have had a variety of work experiences, and none were as fulfilling as working in academia. Being compelled as I am to return to academia time and time again, I feel that a career in academia as a professor is a great fit for me. A love of writing, research, learning, and then sharing that learning is what drives me. I can only see a career in academia as it would allow me to pursue my passions to the best of my ability.

f) As a relative newbie on campus, I have had the chance to attend one PROMISE meeting, “Work/Life Balance.” It was of special interest to me since returning from a year abroad, I have been working to adjust to my life with a new purpose, as a PhD student. Through this meeting I was able to see the many different coping techniques other students and faculty have used, and it gave me inspiration to pursue therapy on campus and take full advantage of the fitness facilities on campus, among other things I am practicing for stress relief.

Please Comment! Leave a Reply.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s